Monday, December 18, 2006

Christmas Card

How hard can it possibly be to send a few christmas cards? It doesn't sound very advanced. You really shouldn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Yet I spent eternity -- that's what it felt like -- trying to send 20 something cards using a service called "real postcards" from the Swedis postal service "posten". I retrieved my password and realized it was two years since my prior use of this service.

I uploaded my jpeg and was told that the quality was excellent - of course it was. I had followed the instructions to the letter. The interface was really slow as I entered address after address. For each address I had to agree to a security warning since not all info on the webpage was encrypted. It took ages.

Finally it was time to click "next". I did. I waited. I got an error message. I tried again. And again. And AGAIN. No luck.

I was wishing I could have the systems developer responsible close enough to hit everytime something went wrong. Maybe it was a good thing, that there were no such people in my office.

Eventually I gave up and went home.

Then I found out on webmasternetwork.se that someone actually managed to send Christmas cards using the webpage today. I tried again and it worked. Apparently my VISA didn't and I wasn't trustworthy enough to get an invoice -- but I did it! I've sent all my Christmas greetings.

Two to the US. It will be interesting to se if they actually get there.

1 comment:

A.H.O Evertsson said...

This is the third year I've used Postens riktiga vykort for sending Christmas cards. The best thing about it is that recipient addresses are stored online. You only need to select your recipents, with no typing involved (except the first time).

If they wanted to improve the service, they should write an Outlook-plugin. Then you would never have to type adresses any more. You could also easily select who gets which christmas card within Outlook (with search).

Another good feature would be to allow storing of cards. Today you have to re-write the greeting every time you need to send the card again (as well as upload the pic).